The DNA we obtain from blood or feathers gives each bird a unique and indelible genetic fingerprint. It is a unique identification for each individual.
To achieve this, molecular markers known as Short Tandem Repeats (STRs) which are specific regions of DNA with variability are analyzed. These markers are recommended by the ISAG (International Society for Animal Genetics).
In addition, thanks to these analyzes, we will be able to identify the paternity relationships between your pigeon and its possible parents. These tests can be used for the registration and storage of data of your bird for the identification of possible thefts and verification of kinship in situations of buying and selling of individuals.
The samples that you can send us from both the specimen and the possible parents are blood in a tube with EDTA, blood on paper or a sterile swab, 5 plucked feathers with a visible shaft. The sample of each animal must be sent identified and duly separated from the rest.
Results will be delivered within 10 business days from receipt of the sample.
How to send the samples?
- Make your purchase in the online store.
- We will contact you to record the data of each bird: species, ring number (or name) and type of sample. In addition, the type of test required and the genotype certifícate if known of one of the parents will also be registered.
- You can then send us the samples to the address indicated.
- The results will be sent to you by email.
How can I combine the different products?
To make it easier, we will call our various products A, B and C:
A. Genotyping and filiation (3 pigeons)
B. Genotyping and filiation (2 pigeons)
C. Genotyping and filiation (1 pigeon)
Here are some examples of possible cases to help you:
- If you have a father and a mother with several children, you can combine our different products as follows:
Example: You have a couple with 10 children, you must buy product A and at least 9 of C, you will obtain the genotyping of 13 birds and the paternity relationships that exist between them.
- If you have a father (or mother) and several children, you can combine products as follows:
Example: You have a father (or mother) and 10 children, you must buy product B and at least 9 of C, to see the relationships between the samples.
- If you have a child and several potential parents, you can combine our products as follows:
Example: You have a mother, a son and 5 possible fathers. To see the relationships between the samples you must buy product B and at least 5 of C.